Monday, April 5, 2010

Wingshooting

I don't think you can truly love and appreciate hunting if you don't shoot well. I realize that there are a lot of elements involved in a successful hunt. But, I feel justified in saying that the killing shot is the element that determines your success or failure. Duck hunting is just bird watching if you can't put the final piece in the puzzle.

I don't claim to be the best shot in the world, so I don't mean to talk down to anybody about shooting. But, I do hold my own most of the time, so I'd like to share some of my thoughts and observations about shooting. Maybe it will help somebody who's getting started. First and foremost; I feel that the mental part of shooting is a much bigger part than any physical aspects. You have to want it. If you want it enough, and make up your mind to it, your body will accommodate you. If it isn't that big of a deal to you, then you will always just be mediocre.

My Dad taught me to shoot a pistol. When I was competing in the Marine Corps I held an NRA Master classification. The Marines (in particular CWO4 York) taught me to shoot a rifle. When I quit competing I held an NRA High Master classification. I once shot the head off a water snake swimming about 40 yards out in the Pamlico Sound with a .22 pistol. I made a 400 yard offhand shot on a deer, with iron sights. I won shooting medals starting with Intercollegiate stuff all the way to the Nationals at Camp Perry. I wanted to master rifle and pistol shooting, and by having the right mindset, it came to me pretty easily. I was decent at Trap and Skeet shooting, but never could afford to compete a lot. Never really had the interest in either one. I actually enjoyed Sporting Clays a little, but couldn't afford to pursue it. I didn't really care about these sports too much, and my scores showed it. I can hit most rabbits I shoot at. Don't think I ever missed a pheasant, and can usually be good for at least one quail out of a covey rise. I love to hunt, shooting is part of it, so I learned how to shoot well enough to put some good suppers on the table.

But my interest lies with waterfowling. I have always worked hard at my duck shooting. As a young boy, I watched with envy as my Dad killed ducks out of each pass. I wanted to be like that. I wanted it very badly. When I was 18 I had killed enough ducks to be getting close, and my folks had given me my 870, so I was gaining some confidence. Christmas week of 1971 I out shot my Dad. Not just on one duck, but the whole hunting trip. He decided to sell his AYA 10 gauge double barrel and get a 3" 12 gauge to try to keep up. I hunted the entire season in 1974. (Took an early retirement for a few months :-) By the end of the season I actually felt I was a good duck shot. Dad and I hunted the blind at Oldfield Island that year and both really shot hard, trying to best each other. I remember one day when we had a pass of Redheads and Dad and I both tripled. We took those birds to the landing, and later in the day I killed a triple on Canvasbacks, Dad only got 2 on that pass. I haven't looked back since. I went on a run of 3 duck seasons that I only missed one duck total. That was just the past few years, so I haven't completely lost my edge. I killed 93 ducks with 4 boxes of shells one morning in Argentina. Followed that with a 100 birds with 110 shells the next morning. Not trying to brag here, just stating some facts.

Some guys are deliberate shots, some are instinctive. Morris Whitfield was an excellent, deliberate shot. Mike McGee was probably the best all around instinctive shot I have ever known. Any shotgun sport, McGee was right there with the best. I don't really consider myself in either of those categories.

I read a book entitled "The Orvis Wingshooting Guide". It was all about gun fit and proper stance. I fully support everything that book said. Probably the best I've ever seen those concepts put down on paper. When I am starting out a new shooter, I insist on them reading it.

I've read for years about different methods of shotgunning. Swinging from behind a bird, shooting as you pass the bird's head, and continuing your swing. I have read about 'snap shooting". Just raise your gun up to where you think the bird is going to be and pull the trigger. I have read about sustained lead. Nash Buckingham said he shot at a moving spot out in front of the bird. When I stop and think on it, shooting at that 'moving spot' probably best describes how I shoot. That is where the mental aspect of shotgunning really comes into play. Naturally, I still have to apply the basics: my gun fits me well. I have spent countless hours working on my footing, until it has become natural for me to assume a good shooting position. Whether in a blind, a boat, or in the marsh, my foot position doesn't change. I shoulder my gun properly, so that it becomes part of me. I don't just hold a shotgun to my shoulder, I embrace it. I grip the shotgun with my right hand so hard that my knuckles turn white, and I pull it back into my shoulder hard. Before I ever mount my gun, my body is focused on the bird I am going to shoot and all my training moves me to that target.

I wholeheartedly support the 'moving spot' theory over any other method of shotgunning. Think of all the factors involved: speed and distance of the bird, angle of flight of the bird, wind velocity and direction, and shot size and velocity of the shell you are using. All those factors dictate exactly where that moving spot should be for that particular shot. After enough practice it all comes naturally. A big Mallard sailing in on cupped wings has that moving spot right on his nose. A Bluebill passing downwind, outside the decoys, has a moving spot about the length of my shotgun out in front of him. With years of practice, it comes to me pretty much subconsciously. I see the bird I want to shoot and it just happens.

I love to teach new shooters, with all weapons. I am probably a better teacher and coach than I am shooter myself, well maybe not. My sons are as good as it gets with a shotgun. They had me to teach them and compete with. They listened and witnessed what was going on and both have learned very well. If they ever held a two man world championship of shotgunning, I would pay my sons' entry fee.

Everything about my sport is interesting and exciting. The ducks, the weather, the location, the decoys, the calling, and the dog work are all a big part of duck hunting. But when you add in some good wingshooting, that is when it all comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment