Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hunting Partners


Any duck hunter knows that a good hunting partner can make a whole lot of difference in your hunting experience. A bad hunting partner can make even a bigger impact. I have had my share of both. I've hunted with my Father for the longest of any partner. Mostly good times, but there are always family matters that spill over into the hunt which can detract from the hunt itself. I've hunted quite a bit with my brother Tom. He is a good friend and good brother and we have enjoyed hunting together but he is not a serious waterfowler. For several years while I was in the Marines I hunted with Mighty Mike McGee. Tough as nails, hardcore duck hunter, great shot. After we drifted apart I hunted with a North Carolinian I met while I was helping myself to his duckblind. He figured it was easier to be my friend than to try to fight me and we went on to be close friends until his untimely death at the hands of a bottle of vodka. I hunt with my sons a lot, actually at every opportunity. Wish our days off coincided a little more so we could get more days in together. Most recently acquired hunting partner is Kelly Murphy. A co-worker and loyal friend. I think she started hunting for a few reasons; she wanted to prepare for raising her sons as outdoorsmen, she was a good rifle shot in the Marines, and she heard enough stories about the fun we have hunting and wanted to be a part of that. I have truly found a diamond in the rough when it comes to hunting partners. She will go in any weather, never argues about the set of the decoys, always lets me call the shot. Doesn't make horrible sounds on a duck call, is comfortable in a boat in rough water in the dark, even when I'm maybe just a little bit lost. She is a fast learner and is very athletic and energetic. She is broke all the time, but other than that she is totally committed to every facet of duck hunting.
When first asked to come along on a hunt she wasn't all that well prepared. Actually she had a trigger finger and nothing else. But I figured, with time, I could mold her into a perfect accomplice. So we borrowed a gun from my Dad, used hunting clothes and boots of mine and my sons and off we went.
The hunting was terrible. We had wind problems, fog problems, lack of duck problems, you name it and it went wrong. Being Irish, I had enough of the gift of gab to keep her interested. So on the last morning of our disastrous trip we tried one last desperate sneak around a public hunting area. I taught her as we crept along and tried to keep a positive attitude that you should never take things for granted, and always be vigilant while you were hunting. Sure enough it paid off. I have very little hearing left so I would have blown it, but she heard a duck quacking back behind us. It must have flown into the marsh after we had already passed that way. After I got close enough to hear it, I figured it was a big loud mouthed hen Mallard. We snuck back around and got up pretty close to it. I told her to stay put and I snuck just a little closer to where I could actually see the duck to ensure it was a Mallard and not a Black Duck because the season wasn't yet open on them. Once I got a good look I signalled Kelly to fire away. She lunged through the myrtle bushes where she was hiding and blasted that hen before she could escape. My retriever stood obediently by her side waiting to be sent on the retrieve. I could see from my spot that the duck was down, but yet Kelly hadn't sent the dog so I walked back down there to see what was going on. I soon saw Kelly down on her back grabbing onto grass, weeds, myrtle and the dogs tail trying to keep from sliding down the bank into the water. She righted herself before I got there and told some wonderful little story about poor footing and slippery grass and assorted other contributing factors to her landing on her backside. But the dog gave me the high sign that she was actually just unbelievably awkward and that I didn't even really want to know what had transpired. Cain retrieved the duck and we came home without being skunked.
Since then she has come a long way. She can out shoot most people we hunt with and because she learned from me, she does almost everything just how I like it. Hopefully we can kill enough birds to keep her interested. I'd hate to lose her as a partner and a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment